Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Just for Billie Jo...

First things first: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLIE JO & ELLIE! We love you both so much and we hope it was a great day.






Ever since Evan was born I've been looking for the perfect opportunity to give a much deserved thank you to world's greatest Billie Jo. I can't think of a better day than today.
I think everyone knows Allen and I are both horrible procrastinators. So, when Evan decided to come one month early we were really not ready. On May 24th we had Evan boy by 7:30am and since Cassie was having her farewell the next day, no one in my family was able to come and Allen's family was out of the country. Billie Jo was our first visitor by 4:00pm. She managed to find sitters for her 3 small children, pack, get a flight, stop at the store to buy preemie baby clothes and show up in my hospital room by around 4pm to be our first visitor. (That list didn't even include the 8 loads of laundry she inevitably did!) She picked up a rental car and arrived with her lists and gifts and all the while looking fabulous.
In the few short days she was here, she did the following:
  • Cleaned my entire house from top to bottom. (This would take a normal person about a week.)
  • Grocery shopped.
  • Filled my entire freezer with several weeks worth of gourmet freezer meals.
  • Took inventory of my baby stuff and went to the store and picked up the remainder of the necessities.
  • Brought me everything that should have been in my overnight bag and an outfit to come home in.

When you see this list you might think I never saw Billie Jo the entire time she was here. But not true. She spent most of the day sitting in the hospital with me and visiting our baby in the NICU. She was so protective of me and watched my nurses and Dr.'s like a hawk. Then she went back to my house and did the above list in the middle of the night, making it all look effortless. To top it all off, she drove our Passat back to the dealership in Utah so Allen didn't have to leave the baby and I.

So many people came and were so wonderful, but Billie Jo came when no one else could, despite the fact that she has quite a handful at her own house. (Thank you TIM for being so supportive and understanding and taking care of everything at home!!) I know we always tease that Billie Jo is amazing, but the truth is, she absolutely, positively is. When we come home for a visit she always calls us every couple hours to see where we are and she's always excited to see us when we finally get there. She stays up for us to party and continues working even after we go to bed. She gets up early and makes amazing breakfasts and all kinds of treats and food, all while taking care of her own family.

She just has so many talents and she uses them all to serve everyone around her. So Billie Jo, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love you just like my own sister and I will never be able to express to you how much this all meant to me and how much I look up to you. Happy Birthday!

11 comments:

Chelsea Johnson said...

Patrice, that is so nice and thoughtful of you. Everything you said about her is so, so true. She is one amazing girl, and I am so happy that she's my sister. I can't wait for my next baby for her to come and sweep me off my feet too!

Hope you had a happy birthday. We love you so much and think you are a wonderful mother to Evan and a great wifey to Allen. We love you, just like you're our sister(I mean, you have been part of the family for longer than any other of the in-laws!!) We are seriously so sad that you guys are moving farther away from us, but we're excited that you get to be back home! Love you!

McNeil Family said...

What a great post my love. I can't believe you did that in the time I took a short, tiny little nap on the couch. ;)

Billie Jo said...

Wow-I don't even know what to say to all that. It is something that I would do for any of my sisters and that means you too. I do have issues with sleep and feel like this is a time that I can do things uninterrupted BUT when I crash it is really BAD! (I can only go about three days without sleep than I am toast.) I can't wait until you and Evan and Allen are all here. I hope that you will let me watch him when you have a dentist apppointment instead of sending him to work with Allen! I feel so blessed to share this special day with you as well. Like Chelsea said, you have been in the family longer than any of the in laws and I truely consider you as one of my sisters, Just think...one two weeks til we craft, make freezer meals, and hang out! YEAH:)
once again thanks for making my birthday so special. Hope you facial was spectacular!

Unknown said...

Thank You Patrice for bragging about my wife. I couldn't have said it any better. She is always trying to serve others. Billie Jo is a perfect example of how to take care of your family at any time or any circumstance. We love you and enjoy your visits. Hope your birthday was great! Happy Birthday a little late!

The Gunnerson Family said...

You are totally right about my big sis! She is always there to take care of EVERYONE. I think we have eaten dinner at her house as much as we have eaten here since we moved back. Everyone should have a big sister like Billie Jo.

Happy Birthday to you, too! I hope that you had a great day at the dentist! I am really excited for you guys to be here closer to us so we can visit more and have those little babies grow into boys together. Love ya.

Giselle Rasheta said...

How nice for you to do a blog for someone else on YOUR birthday. Every word is true...Billie Jo has seriously taken care of me so much in the past year. When Noah moved to AZ while I stayed in school, Billie Jo's house became my new house. I was used to her feeding me 3x a week after dance, but I starting being there all the time. She took such good care of me as a mommy and my sister, and she has definitely learned from my Mom how to be an amazing cook!

And you, my Treecie (I think I spell that differently everytime). You have always been my friend...I remember being at the airport with you when Allen left on his mission and thinking how special I felt to be your friend. And we always were friends, through different times and changes...I'm so happy you're my sister and I love you SO much. You are an amazing Mom to that Evan boy, and are an inspiration to me. Good luck with everything upcoming, I'm so happy for you that you're moving home - it will be great!

Alec and Tiffany said...

Patrice,

I am so glad you have taken over and started blogging. Look Allen TWO post in ONE week, and a cute blog background. Little Evan is growing up so fast. We can't wait until you guys move up here. Hope everything is going good!

Billie Sue said...

I'm so mad...I saw this post last night and was just clicking on "publish your comment," when my internet went down! I was bawling my eyes out because it was such a great post and so from the heart! I appreciated your thoughts on Billie Jo and totally agree at how thoughtful she is of others. I have often said that she is so independent and capable, but of all my children, if I tell her I think she could do something differently, she pulls herself right in line. She is always so concerned about Rob and I know would do whatever it took to take care of him. I am so happy she was there to help with you and Evan. She truly is amazing. During this time of me spending time with my parents, she has kind of taken the "mother" role over to the rest of the family and I certainly appreciate that. Thank you for that beautiful post.
She is not the only amazing person, either, we all think you are pretty special too. I am glad Allen made such a wise decision and I'm glad you were amenable. Happy, happy birthday, Patrice! We love you. Again, great approach!

Staci said...

Evan is getting so big. He is so dang cute... I can't wait to see him in real life... This was a great tribute to Billie Jo, it's great that you have so many people around you who love you and support you... I haven't heard the final verdict on where you guys are moving to... Let me know!

Pays said...

What a neat post. She is pretty amazing. Your little man is growing up soooo fast! He's a cutie!

Lark said...

Wow, she does sound amazing! So glad she was there for you guys! I know that was a bit of a surprise when Evan came early.
Thanks for your comment on my blog - I really loved being your visiting teacher - I really enjoyed visiting with you, talking and getting to know you.
Good luck on the move!
And Evan is just so adorable - keep the pictures coming :)