Friday, May 30, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Our sweet little boy was finally released from the hospital today. Here he is happily resting at home. However, this entire week has not been so pleasant. Hopefully these pictures will catch you up on the first week of Evan's life.

Here is Mom with Evan in the special care nursery. Behind them is Evan's little isolette that he had to stay in for a few days after his birth. Also, you can probably see the feeding tube that they put down his nose into his tummy. He only had to use it for a few feedings, but they left it in most of the week.
One of the reasons that Evan had to stay in the hospital was because his bilirubin count was a little high. As a result, he had to stay under the bright lights for the first part of the week. You will also note that they put an IV in his poor little arm.

Another shot of Evan in his isolette under the bright lights. In addition to the feeding tube, the IV, and the mask, you can see that they also have various wires and tubes hooked up to him. Poor little guy.
Grandma Sue came to see Evan in the hospital and he was thrilled. Cassie Jo also got to come and see Evan before she heads out into the mission field. Thank you very much for coming down to see us. We are looking forward to your return.
After hearing of Evan's birth, Billie Jo caught the first flight down to Vegas to take care of us. She made 874 meals in one night, bought 2478 items at babies r us, cleaned the world's dirtiest house, and turned a pumpkin into a carriage. Thank you so much for coming and taking care of us.
All of my sisters will be happy to know that I have learned to firmly burp Evan, although I still don't like it. I think you can see the size discrepancy and I don't know if babies should be hit that hard.
Finally, the ride home from the hospital. Yes, this is a normal sized car seat. Luckily we passed the car seat test thanks to the special newborn insert. Seriously, how cute does he look in that seat?

I also tried to get a picture of Evan in his new car. I was in Utah on Friday being sworn in the the Utah State Bar, and I stopped by the ford dealership. Seven hours later, I drove back to Las Vegas in a new 2008 ford edge. I know a new car warrants a separate post, but I think Evan takes precedence. I ended up getting home about 10 minutes before Patrice's water broke.
Once we got home, we put Evan in the sunlight. We are trying to give him a nice tan for the summer. Actually, as you probably know, the sunlight is to help with the jaundice.
And at long last, comfortably sleeping at home with mom and dad. We could not be happier to have our little boy home. Thank you so much to Billie Jo, Sue, Cassie, Chelsea, Jack the giant, and everyone who will visit us. Also, thanks to those who have sent flowers, made meals, and offered congratulations.




18 comments:

Tyler and Mindy said...

He is so sweet. We are so glad that he is healthy and home with his Mommy and Daddy now. We can't wait to meet the little guy.

Also, did you purchase a super large carseat or is he just that tiny?

The Gunnerson Family said...

I am so jealous! Not jealous that you have your little baby home, but jealous that I haven't been able to see and hold him. He is totally darling. My official vote is that he kind of looks like a Shuppy. What have you guys decided? The picture in the car seat looks the most Shuppy to me. I love the picture of him in the hospital on his tummy with his bum in the air! He even looks a little chubby. How can a 5 1/2 pound baby look chubby? Cute, cute, cute! Good luck with all that comes now. It is surprisingly easy, they sleep A LOT!

The Gunnerson Family said...

Oh Allen, I can't believe they didn't tell you this in the hospital, but you aren't suppose to hold them by the neck. The are still relatively weak there. (ha ha)

Billie Jo said...

Man I have only been off the internet for 15 minutes and already two comments. I am so glad that I got to see him. I think he looks so innocent and sweet and would be the most perfect thing you and Patrice have ever done. I to thought he had a set of cheeks for being "premature." I am super glad you got home and I am ready to send my next round of food down with Sue. Good Job. Keep the post coming by the minute!

Staci said...

He is so cute! I am so glad that he home now. I hope that both Patrice and the babe are doing well. He looks so tiny in the car seat, I love it. But I thought he looked pretty chubby too. Keep posting pictures. There was way to long of a break between posts. I think you need to post new pictures daily!

Kamal and Amber said...

I was so surprised to see a cute little baby on your blog. Congrats!!! He is so cute and so small. Patrice you are a lucky girl!! Hope he continues to be healthy and strong. Luv, Amber

Jamie said...

Congratulations! This all sounds familiar, we had our babies in the NICU for a month-he is so cute and we are so happy for you guys!

Tiffany said...

Congratulations you guys- he is so adorable and we're glad everything is ok. We can't wait to see him. Good luck with everything and call us when you come to Utah!

The Prices said...

Congratulations!! He is a cutie. I absolutely love the first pic of him in the carseat. Maybe if I am lucky you guys will make it up to Kamas while I am there this summer so that I can see him!

Sunny

Billie Sue said...

Well, this will be our fifth attempt at communicating with you, so....here we go -- successfully, we hope! How pleased we are to see Evan -- no matter who he looks like (although I thought he looked like a Shuppy the first time I saw him)! We are so happy he is home and doing well. We tried to call twice the day we found out and only got your message machine. We have tried to email twice and the internet was down the first time and the second time the girl in the internet cafe shut us down! That is a beautiful baby and as Dad said last post, of all the beautiful, breath-taking things we have seen our this unbelieveable trip, there is none so wonderful and the sight of this beautiful baby. Good work kids! We are glad Billie Jo made those 874 meals and bought all that stuff because we are so sure that Patrice didn't have a thing ready! So happy that Cassie got to see Evan prior to leaving and was so glad to see such a beautiful "Grandma" picture with Sue. I am considering riding to LV with Giselle when we arrive home and then just flying home. We'll see how Grandpa is getting along and how the water is for the water king! Just know how happy we are for you and that we love that McNeil boy so much! By the way, the Team took 4th in the World in the Latin competition behind a increible German team, a disciplined Chinese team, and an Austrian team. It was fabulous! Love you so much - Mom

Chelsea Johnson said...

As cute as he looks in the pictures, he is definitely just as cute, if not more and adorable and wonderful in person! I am so happy we got to come see him again. You two are doing wonderfully as parents, and have great instincts, as we knew you would. Evan is one lucky little guy! Can't wait to see him again, try to fatten him up before Jack attempts to eat him!

Alec and Tiffany said...

He is so adorable! I can't wait to meet little Evan. We will be home in 3 weeks for my sister's wedding, so I wan't to come by and meet him! Congrats....im so happy for you two and am glad he is home and doing better. How is patrice?

Staci said...

I missed your mom Saturday morning by two hours. I have had your present riding around in our car since the day your shower was supposed to take place. I can't mail the present because it's too big so will you comment me or email me @ SpaceyStacey_07@yahoo.com and let me know the next person who is driving down. I really want to get this to you!!! Hope things are going well.

Giselle Rasheta said...

Oh my gosh, I am in love! How is it that such a tiny little guy can be so perfectly plump at the same time?? I love that he's so tiny that his nuk looks HUGE! Noah said to me, "what is that thing?"

Can I come by on the 7th and bring Mom? I want to see that little guy so badly! My wish came true, you had him before I came home so I could stop and see him.

Congratulations, you guys! He is perfect!

Kristie said...

Allen and Patrice,

Congratulations to you both! I am so excited for you and glad to hear that you are home. Enjoy this time while you can because he is going to change and grow faster than you ever could imagine. I can't believe that my little giant is now almost four months old. I really would like to see your little family sometime before Evan is in school. Call me when you come to Woodland next.

Addison

Brooke said...

Patrice (and Allen)-

This is Brooke (Wilde) Woolstenhulme. I just saw on Chelsea's blog that you have a beautiful baby boy! Congrats! I hope that you are recovering well and adapting to parenthood like champs!

Stephanie Clegg said...

Congratulations! He is adorable. I try to keep tabs on your family whenever I run into your mom. Looks like you will have your hands full for the next 18 years :)

Chelsea Johnson said...

Okayk, seriously, this is ridicerous you guys! I know that Patrice is keeping tabs on everyone becuase I've seen her comments, so please, please please updaet so I can see some pictures of him! I'm begging!

Aside from the begging, I hope everything is going well!